Snaps

September 20th, 2011

This summer brought us our first nephew, Kieran.  Here we are happily making total fools of ourselves trying to keep him from fussing:

We canoed lots, but never enough:

Scott also got to join Tim and the Cut Down Crew on a hunting excursion.  Our shed is stocked with decoys and our house has been a continual honk-a-thon.  I wonder if this will be like bagpipes, if it will sound better with practice?  The children have sure found an effective way to get us out of bed.

Can I be a big weenie for a minute?  I need to talk about hair.  I’ve got an appointment to get my hair done next Friday.  Cut, colour.  I really enjoyed 5 years of being dye free and while there is something endearing about having your honey help cut your hair, I am looking forward to a fresh look for fall.  I am still enjoying my sidecut, even though I lost count of how many women had sidecuts in Montreal.   I am leaning towards ombre highlights, though I am sensing I may be arriving late to that trend too.  It was Yolandi’s hair (the one with the rats) that originally inspired my Amish bowl cut last summer, and while I love that white blonde I know I can’t handle the maintenance.  But a girl can dream…

Which of these pictures should I bring to the hair salon with me?

33 Responses to “Snaps”

Oh Gillian. What have you done to me?! (Also, thank you).

2. Gillian says:

(it used to be a lot better, so start at the end and work yourself forward)

Yup, but my bangs are longer.

4. Allie says:

I like the lower right.

5. Chrystel Starr says:

short really is fantastic! and it always grows back!!

6. Hayley says:

mice on the head, like, all the time?

7. Casey Martin says:

I think this one would look good on you!

Hayley – only on weekends. HA!

xx

9. Timothy says:

I like the upper left.

10. Amandette says:

Cut: First picture on the left.
    Color: Second picture on the left.

I miss my half-shaven head.

11. Brenda says:

Bottom right photo, very nice.

12. dude, trends, schmends. who cares? do what will make you happy to look in the mirror. i like the ombre idea. i would steer away from reddish tints if i were you. if your hair is cut similar to that top left photo, that is an amazing ‘do and i would expand on that idea. do you want it short or just a new style? i actually think the color in that first pic is gorgeous too.. you could do those tones but ombre-style.

13. p.s. i will never tire of your pictures. you guys live such a full real, vivid life. the kids are so ALIVE! and happy! what a gift of an awesome childhood you’re giving them. i know with all your planning and chores you probably don’t feel so alive all the time, but i hope you do in your soul at least!

14. Meredith says:

You work for yourself and don’t have to look any particular way for mainstream -corporate-world. Please take advantage of this liberty! Fun colors! Fun cuts!

Here’s my favourite source of inspiration/dreaming:

15. Lisa says:

aw!!! loving the family pics! the snap with the wee friend and the yellow flower is just so cuuuuuuute!!! adorableness!

okay

so was i just being a weenie the other day when i cried out for advice on my current bread baker hairstyle!?! hahahaha

love all the advice you’ve been given and can’t wait to see what you come up with!

my hair app’t is this friday morning! yippee!!! i’ve been walking around all this time exuding bread making vibes (inside joke y’all!) hopefully my new haircut will be ripley fall fair worthy friday night!! eeks! could be disastrous!!!

wish i had more inches!

xx
    say hi to everyone!
    everyone here says hi!

I also love Hairport Lisbon!

All great thoughts guys, I have yet to decide but I’ll post a picture when it’s done.

Lisa – can’t wait to see YOUR new hair! I bet it will not inspired hand ground grains, lol!

See you at the Fall Fair? Yeah baby!

17. Natalie says:

I love the top left and bottom right. You’ll rock whatever hair choice you decide on!!

18. kara and JR says:

I cut 9 inches off my hair last week! Ready for a change and found a place I could donate it to. Cant want to see your new do.

19. Melissa says:

Bottom right, all the way.

20. Emma says:

do you both fish from the canoe?

21. Alix says:

Top left!!

22. Nicole says:

I love the ombre. Especially if you do it in a fun color, like hot pink or dark blue. I’ve seen some on Pinterest that look really cool.

23. Teagan says:

Dear sweet lord- when did your children become teenagers? Holy growing like weeds!

Bottom right for colour, and I think you should go short.

24. Oooookay, now that I’m done browsing lesbian haircuts…why not dreads? I think those are pretty low maintenance. Otherwise, bottom right.

Had dreads. I found them a fair bit of maintenance actually, keeping them looking nice at the roots. Definitely aiming for hair I can brush. At least, most of the time. ;)

26. Alisa says:

it’s alisa from sg… well exsg now… i just wanted you to know that i think you are such a wonderful soul and spirit. i’m glad that i got to meet you once in my life. it was sooooo worth it just for one of your hugs. i wish you nothing but happiness and love in your life and future lives.

oceans of love hugs and kisses from my family to yours.

27. Indie Mama says:

Looks like you had so much fun! And such an adorable baby! And I like the one top left hairstyle best :)

This doesn’t deserve it’s own update:

Went for bottom right as stylist didn’t want to make it so light in one sit. Was explicit about what I wanted (brought the picture!), that the whole idea with ombre highlights is that you don’t have to mess with roots (therefore the darkest colour would match your hair) and that I wanted a nice fade and no distinct lines.

Got the opposite. My roots are shades darker than I wanted, way too dark, and there are perfectly square blonde brush marks way up on my motherfucking crown.

Total shit.

Will have to travel to have this mess fixed.

I didn’t realize until I got to the shop and looked at it under bright lights. So bad.

At least my trim was OK.

29. Anonymous says:

Ughhh. I hate it when they screw it up. If you don’t know how to do it please just tell me!
    It took my girl two sessions to get the colour like that. I like it because the roots are subtle/ none existent.
    Good luck! At least it’s nothing that can’t be fixed.

30. Barnicles says:

Have you seen this book – Farm Anatomy?

I just love the illustrations and although you probably know most of it might be good for kiddo’s growing up. the ‘comb styles’ page made me chuckle.

B x