Which Came First

August 23rd, 2010

In case you needed 9 reasons to stop buying eggs from industrial egg producers… may I present you with the following link from the DAILY BEAST.

We are very lucky to have our own happy, healthy henny pennies.  I know not everyone does.  Happy healthy eggs, if you are shopping out of the grocery store, are not necessarily more expensive.  A dozen eggs from my neighbour (whose chickens lives outdoors in non-winter and in the biggest hen condo I have every seen in the winter, and eat organic food and of course have never been medicated) cost $2.50.  Buy from her mother and you pay a whopping $2/dozen.

And speaking of price, if touring over to a farm to buy your eggs, or shopping via a co-op is not an option for you and good eggs from the store are extortionate, may I simply propose you eat less eggs?  To quote Michael Pollan: “eat food, mostly plants, not too much.”

As I have mentioned on here before, there is lunacy out there, disguised as “healthy” and “green”.  Like “vegetarian” eggs.  PS people, if a chicken can’t eat a bug, it’s not outside.  And chickens LIKE to eat bugs.  They need protein. Also, just because it’s “organic” doesn’t mean it got to walk around.

We have somehow abdicated our food rights.  For the sake of the animals who are lined up in droves to give us their lives, not to mention our own health, put a little bit of leg work into reading the labels on your food.  (That is if there is a label on it).  Or do a little leg work and find a farm whose practices you can get behind.  Or build a chicken coop.

I’m no angel.  I am not so staunchly home grown that I refuse to eat eggs in a restaurant.  But it’s not hard at all to ensure that the bulk of my animal proteins are harvested as ethically as possible. I mean, I don’t want to eat that shit.  It’s literally shit.  (How could anyone eat industrial chicken again after learning what a stunning percentage of it’s packaged weight is literally fecal soup from water baths?)

Yeah, life is suffering.  But with little effort, there can be just a little bit less of it.

This is an agricultural concentration camp and there is no need for it.  (Only greed).

16 Responses to “Which Came First”

1. eli says:

AWESOME POST. preach on.

2. Diane says:

I could not agree more – as someone who has taken the step to veganism, I abhor the slaughtering of animals. I have been a vegetarian from the age of 22 and believe me, I do not suffer from any kind of protein deficiency
    When I did eat eggs, my policy was that I would not eat eggs from chickens that I was not on a first name basis with.
    People would laugh at that, but think about it – why not know where your food comes from and maybe acknowledge the animals who provide food for you – let the farmers know that you value how well they treat their animals by purchasing directly from them.
    Please and thank you are free, yet they pay such great dividends.
    Hugs a farmer, save a life

Diane – one of the toughest, most (literally) ass kicking women I know is vegan, I always think of her whenever people tell me vegans are unhealthy!

Love the first name basis. Hilarious, just like you.

xx

4. Alex says:

I have a hard time eating chickens because even though they are my favouritist thing ever and so delicious you are right when you say you never quite know where you are getting yours from if you don’t have your own or know someone who can hook you up. I remember one of the biggest eye openers for me was when I became a vegetarian (for a brief few years but my heart was in the right place) after seeing some information and films at a music benefit for an animal rights campaigner that died a few years ago. The stuff I found out about “chickens for the masses” (both eggs and meat) frightened me and made me feel so guilty for the animals. Then there was a huge exposé on TV about the poor treatment of chickens for major supermarket brands, such as how a lot of the killing machinery was inaccurate and that the majority of the birds didn’t get their throats slit properly so then the next stages of the process they would have pretty much been tortured. Not to mention that they were kept in their own waste for days and days to the point where they would get blisters and sores under their legs which would burn the skin (that is if they could stand up under the weight of their own bodies, fed up and ‘roided for “juicy plump chicken dinners”) , and how in turn you could actually see and identify these in the supermarkets once the birds had been killed. Rather than try and fight these claims and address the poor abuse that the birds suffered in their short steroid filled lifetimes, the big supermarkets just put big stickers over the parts of the packaged birds and carried on selling them. But I guess no one wants to question those kinda things if the price is right eh? Thankfully I know a bunch of people now with chickens… Hurrah! And I finally got a job, so we can move and I can get a veggie patch and some hens of my very own! Hurrah and thrice times hurrah! /end of soapbox rant

5. Louise says:

Do you know how cool you are and your site is and everything you are doing? I hope you do. I was on BMEzine years ago and ran across your thingy on there and you always stuck out. Somehow I found your site here recently and I have to say that I have HUGE respect for what you are doing.

My boyfriend and I recently moved out of our shoebox 600 square foot attic suite in Victoria BC and bought a house on a 1/4 acre in Nanaimo. We have been “killing the lawn” by turning it into a huge veggie garden with fruit trees, kiwi and grape vines as well as a few perennial gardens. We’ve built a chicken coop and will be getting chickens soon. It’s a small lot comparatively, but we’re trying to use it as best we can.

Anyway none of this really matters because you don’t know me, but I just think it is absolutely awesome that you have done this with your life and your family.

You are an inspiration.

6. heidi says:

we get our chickens tomorrow! 2 ameraucana, 2 barred plymouth rock, 2 golden phoenix.

7. Katie says:

This is fantastic! I just posted yesterday about keeping chickens, and I added your post as a P.S. at the end. I’m not allowed to have them where I live, but I have plenty of room in my backyard and I can’t find any logic whatsoever to back-up the law banning them, so I intend to break it..

8. Charley says:

Soooo there with you on this one.

9. Anonymous says:

I WILL not buy or eat factory farmed eggs….I always buy them from a free range, organic fed, farm. Not only are the animals treated with respect and love, the eggs just taste better…This is a topic close to my heart, as I am a failed vegetarian. I really tried to cut meat out of my life, but I am afraid I could not. I eat meat, but ONLY grass fed, free range beef, chicken and eggs, NO pork at all.

10. What I want to express is gratitude for this post, because there are so many people now that don’t actually know what’s going in their food, or how it’s being produced. It’s so important to READ BEFORE YOU BUY, but most adults I know only apply that knowledge when they’re investing in something big like a car, or a house. They don’t actively apply that same line of thinking to what they’re ingesting.
    The same can be applied to skincare, haircare and make-up. I can’t count the number of times I had skin reactions as a child because of ingredients in drugstore make-up. They put preservatives in the lipsticks, eyeshadows and foundations to prolong shelf life. The worst of them left me in a walk-in clinic on hallowe’en because my face was twice it’s usual size, and tomato red to boot.

Thanks for posting these, people need to know.

11. i hope you don’t mind if i pass this link along.

Please do share. :)

13. scienkoptic says:

@katie- I say F the law. I did. I got six hens that make far less noise than the following:
    1: Neighbors leaf blower that runs most saturday evenings when I am outdoors
    2: All the neighbors dogs that bark incessantly.
    3: Just about everything else.

I think as long as roosters are not involved, most neighbors appreciate the periodic supply of fresh eggs.
    hens are damanding. they get used to routines.
    best thing I did was build an automatic Coop door so that I don’t have to get up before dawn to let them out or put them up at night.
    If you have no intention of eating them, they are great pets which bring my children great enjoyment as pets.

My only reservation was buying six with plans that I’d lose a couple before I got any eggs. I didn’t. Either we did a good job raising them or the breed I picked are pretty hearty.

Based on my observations, I can’t imagine the miserable life a industrial chicken has. Chickens live for the forage. They’ll always defer feed for the bugs and worms that they scratch up.

Couldn’t agree more with you about just getting chickens. With town councils, better to ask for forgiveness than permission. The municipal worries about noise and smell generated from half a dozen chickens are ridiculous. Ditto rat concerns. It’s town! There’s already lots of noise, smell and garbage because there’s lots of PEOPLE.

We lost our first laying hen “naturally” this year. She was almost 3 years old, I have no idea what she died from. Just walked out to do feed & water one morning and she was stiff. I would imagine that most people doing “city chickens” would have educated themselves about feed & water requirements, and even the most basic care will prevent loss since the living conditions are so far superior to the chicken concentration camp (which the bulk of them survive through).

I will comment that my only concern with city chickens is end of life scenarios. I hate to see a “problem” passed on, and I would hate to see humane shelters wind up with anymore work. I worry some people won’t have the “heart” to kill something that either needs killing, or would be perfectly fine in a stew pot, having lead the happiest life a chicken could ever live.

Practically everyone I have talked to who is either interested in, or has chickens in town says “oh but I could never kill one”. If you are fine with a chicken who doesn’t lay as a pet, and have the room for one, power to you. But if often twangs of a few other annoying things people have said to me about their animals like “I have put a bark collar on my dog because I live in an apartment and my Jack Russell is barking all the time”. Which pretty much makes me see red!

15. Katie says:

Thanks for your comment! Chicken coop construction begins this weekend, and I only plan on getting 4 hens. And trust me, I have no qualms about killing. I agree with so much of what you’ve posted on the matter, and as a hunter, I see no wrong in a swift, humane death after a fulfilling, respected, natural life. It amazes me the way people decry me for hunting deer, for example, but have no issue eating meat at the store that was killed inhumanely after a short, disgusting, unnatural life of being treated as nothing more than a product. People who say they could never kill an animal have NO business eating meat.

16. scienkoptic says:

I’ve got no hesitation to put something down. I’m not prepared to eat them though. I figure if I ever get out of this hell, I’m going to raise meat birds. I just won’t let them get named!
    I am every morning reminded how thankful I am for these birds. They ask for little and give lots in return.

If the chickens became a “Problem”, I would be ready to pitch a fight.
    For most folks around here, an unwanted city chicken is an opportunity for the local “Santera”. They no problem dumping their chicken ‘offerings” around here.