Us Lately

August 5th, 2010

Garden, garden, garden.  Meat birds in the freezer.  Pickle.  And then pickle again.  Meeps has 2 sleepovers!  Goat chores.  Baby goat up my back.  Bonfire.  Move the turkeys.  Garden.  Bandage laying hen leg.  Move hens.  Chores, chores, chores.  Camp in tent in front yard.  Tomato fucking horn worn invasion.  What I see right now is two children who want the same thing.  Pet sheep.  Curse Bucky.  Garden.  Chores.  No hitting with sticks.  Gentle smashing.  Jam and more jam.  Laundry.  Wipe noses and bums.  Can I not sit down for 2 minutes?  Haul pig feed.  Try not to get run over feeding slops.  Dishes.  Bonfire.  Wiping.  Chores.  Garden.  Chores.  Wiping.  Laundry.  Please stop hitting each other.  Please don’t hit the dog.  Spit goes in the sink.  Shut the door please you’re letting in the flies.  Chores.

21 Responses to “Us Lately”

1. Sarah M says:

It looks like you guys have been busy! Sorry about the worms, they look like nasty little fuckers.

BTW, I always get excited when a post from you shows up on my reader.

2. BusyBee says:

I love reading your blog because you don’t hide the fact that the kids fight and constantly have a nose or butt to wipe, the dogs and any other animals are buggers (as cute as they are in the pictures), and despite the fact that you never really get to sit down, nothing is ever really *done*. Thank you for keepin’ it real.
    P.S. Bob looks like a mini Bob’s dad in those pics.

3. Hayley says:

Did the cherry tree you planted,like, last year yield all those cherries???? BUSY does not describe………….

4. Katie says:

It sounds like more of a handful than I could ever handle, but I’m still ridiculously envious of your life. I hope to find my own path one day that shares some semblance to the one you’ve carved out for yourself and your family. You’re quite a lady.

5. Diane says:

If they weren’t so destructive those hornmworms would be so cute.
    Are there any natural predators that you can sic on them?
    Getting eaten alive by mosquitoes at work, covered in bites – I can only imagine what the horsefly bites look like.
    As always, love and hugs to BUCKY }:)
    When I get a day off I would love to come and help out.
    My own garden is a burstin’ – I will bring you some eggplants when they are ready.
    Hugs to the piggies and the goats and turkeys and of course Puppers, the kitties, piggly-wiggly and yourselves
    Diane.

6. brenda says:

I would love to take the horn worms – my bearded dragons would be in heaven!!! Talk about a treat to eat!

Brenda I would like to cordially invite you over for a Pick-Your-Own Horn Worm Festival. I give you first dibs!

Hayley – I WISH! They were actually from Zehrs – they had organic cherries on super cheap. I could not resist.

Diane – the natural predator is my toddler. LOL!

8. lauren says:

random comment/question you take such amazing photos. (i’m sure the fabulous subject matter doesn’t hurt) any tips for those of us just falling back in love with our cameras? Thanks!!!

9. MissNomer says:

Both of your children are gorgeous, but Bob is one of the most photogenic kids I’ve ever seen!

10. Diane says:

AND the lambs – hugs to the lambs as well.
    Kids are great hunters of insects.. hope they don’t eat them…
    There are times when I really wish I had a farm.
    Like now… and yesterday and most likely tomorrow.
    I got my very first eggplant out of my backyard garden today.
    I could not ever imagine the same thrill as buying my first eggplant at the supermarket..
    There’s nothing better than the satisfaction of watching the plants grow and mature – picking the veggies moments before i make a salad.
    And all it takes is water, a little TLC and some elbow grease.. my plot is very small, i know yours takes much more effort.
    Bless ya for sharing all of it with us citydwellers.
    Diane
    PS hope little henny’s leg is all better soon.

11. Natasha says:

NICE cherries :D

12. michele says:

AAAHH!! Tomato worms freak me the FCUK out!

You know how it is for some people with spiders??? I’m like that with tomato worms…

13. Pikelet says:

Your hair is looking so fabulous lately! Making me want to recommit to the blunt fringe.

Also, sweet lord those cherries have me frothing at the mouth for summer. A few months to go down here in the southern hemisphere.

14. Aunt Nancy says:

Agreed on excellent photography.
    Portrait of Bob is Sooo Norman Rockwell.
    Hope you’re not stretched too thin.

15. Lauren says:

I fucking HATE horn worms. We had one and it ruined two of our tomato plants. After it ate all of the leaves and flowers those plants are pretty much refusing to produce tomatoes. Not cool.

16. Ro says:

Oh my! Meeps looks like a proper little madam! ;)

17. Elizabeth says:

Something ate ALL of the leaves off of every tomato plant. Dont know when it happened but it had to have been fairly quick. Boooo!

18. michele says:

I am not growing tomatoes ever again. I am buying them from the farmer’s market from now on. Maybe I’ll grow a cherry tomato plant in a bucket someday, but that’s it.

19. Jamie says:

Sounds a lot like my place…only now Lilly and Vincent are big enough to really fight. We had to go to Northern MI – 15 hour drive in a vehicle with 3 kids – 2 fist fighting in the back seat. Is it wrong that I pulled over in WI and gave them a list of the hwys to take to get home. (BTW..didn’t make them get out, but I was outside the Envoy holding the door open) So you have my empathy!

20. BusyBee says:

Totally unrelated to his post, but I thought of you as soon as I heard the news. St.Catharines has agreed to amend their by-laws to allow chickens and rabbits to be kept in city limits. We are still waiting on permissible flock numbers, space and distance regulations and all that stuff. But Yay. One step closer to my own fresh eggs.

21. brenda says:

Total different note: just called Sugar Shack and left a message for a consultation with Melanie. I am in Windsor and will be in the Kincardine area at the end of the month. Can’t wait to get some new ink. Want the kiddies names on my ankle (that way when my memory fails I can check and remember who they are!). Seriously, can’t wait!!