To Do Today

May 14th, 2009

- Chickens: feed, water, eggs
- Goats: grain, water, mineral, yeast, kelp, wormer
- Dogs: food, water
- Cats: food
- Bucky: morning bottle, afternoon bottle, night bottle, check wounds, vitamin C, probiotics, electrolytes, delouser, eyewash, dio-earth around his pen
- wash dirty diapers and at least one more load
- pick up bread from neighbour
- drop off can opener to neighbour
- take pics of neighbours barn beams and pick up rotenone
- pick up Scott’s birthday prez, card
- prepare next garden bed: raise, peat, manure
- plant spinach, peas
- empty & refill dishwasher
- put out transplants to harden
- water indoor transplants
- clean disgusting stove top
- finish preview pics for Steve, upload set
- pick up friend’s B-day card
- dinner at 6:30. DON’T BE LATE. **We were 10 min EARLY! WOO!
- and of course: feed, water, potty, nap and entertain 2 children

Wondering who Bucky is? This is Bucky:
Bucky was Plucky

Bucky is a goat we just rescued. He was not getting the care he needed. He was trounced by a horse when he was about a month old (which seems to have broken his ankle, which went untreated) and left him with a small abscess from a wound. Well the abscess went untreated and went from being about the size of a ping pong ball to a football. That’s a big abscess on a little baby goat (he’s just over 2 months now). To complicate matters, it is so large that it has started to bung up his plumbing (both his penis and testicles have disappeared inside of it).  It was freshly drained in this picture so you can’t see the lump.

Imagine clipping the end off of a bag of milk and that milk just pouring out. That’s what’s been pouring out of poor Bucky’s belly (after a belch of the foulest smelling air). Only about 1,287 times more smelly than even the stinkiest of off milk.  We’re going to keep this abscess drained and see if we can get him to start healing.  If we can’t, we’ll be putting him down.

He deserves a fighting chance, instead of being left to deteriorate and die. I understand (and agree with) culling sick animals out of your herd to keep your herd healthy. I get the ruthlessness of rural living. I just don’t get neglect.

Big thanks to Andrew White DVM of Gordon Lake & Veterinary on Queen in Kincardine, Ontario. If you live in the Kincardine area and are looking for a new vet, please check out Andrew and Heather. They provide excellent veterinary care.

10 Responses to “To Do Today”

1. Ivy says:

What a beautiful little fella. I hope he makes it.

2. Ro says:

He is beautiful. Please don’t eat him. ;)

3. Monica says:

I hope he makes it too, he’s very cute! I agree with you, there is NO excuse for neglect like that. You are super, super busy girl! I don’t know how you do it all especially with two little ones!

Have a great rest of the week, hope “Bucky” makes a good recovery soon!

~M~

4. Rae says:

i dont know how you do all that you do. i have trouble enough keeping up with one kid and trying to get things done around the house. bucky is a cutie i hope he gets better soon.

5. Jamie says:

Bucky is too cute…however now Bella wants a goat. I’m sending her to you :)

6. Hayley says:

Go Bucky!! you can do it! You can’t underestimate an animals will to live. About your list…..I didn’t see anything related to your own personal hygeine. Typical of us mothers isn’t it….

Yeah, no rest or SHOWERS for the wicked!

Haha.

Bucky’s abscess was even smaller today! No air in it, either. Things are looking up, I’m starting to think he might make it!!

8. Steph says:

Wow poor little guy! I think that its awesome your trying to help him out. I’m sure he’ll be fabulous now that he has a safe and loving home!

9. Ashley says:

Aww, good for you! When I was a young’un up in Red Deer, I helped my grandparents rescue a piglet who had fallen into a gutter and its mum rejected her. Not nearly the same situation, but it was a great experience. Bucky looks great, I think the TLC will make him better. And if not, I’m sure he will at least greatly appreciate all the love and comfort you are providing. :]

10. [...] I am NOT going to bring the husband and the truck and the trailer, though seeing as I have already brought a goat home in the trunk of my Focus, anything is [...]